Friday, August 17, 2012

Windows of the Soul

It amazes me how you can look into someone's eyes and know exactly what they are thinking.  It amazes me even more when that happens with a complete stranger. 
I was pulling into the Walmart parking lot and as I put the car in park, the car I was facing was violently jolted.  I looked up to see a huge SUV backing up from a collision with the little Honda in front of me.  I saw the lady who was driving the offending vehicle and she saw me.  We made eye contact for what seemed like 5 minutes but couldn't have been more than a couple of seconds.  In that blink of an eye, I knew that she was not going to take responsibility for what she had done.  She made a big show of getting out of her car and walking around her vehicle and the other car.  I watched her this whole time and she made furtive glances in my direction.  I took note of her license plate as she got back into her car and drove a little further up the row and parked a bit aways.  She hovered back by her car for a bit, so I hoped that she was writing a note for the owner of the other car with her insurance information, so I decided to go about my business.  I went into the store and made my purchases.  On my way back to my car, I saw the guilty driver walking up to the store with her kids in tow.  I checked the windshield of the Honda, and I was not shocked to see that there was no note there.  I looked back at the store and the lady had stopped in front of the doors and was looking at me.  At that point, I took out my cell phone and took a picture of the Honda's damage, walked over to the SUV and took a picture of it's plate and the huge dent in the front bumper and got back in my car to write a note.  I told the owner what had happened, I put the other car's information and my cell number in the note and slipped it into the car's open window. (I'm sure that if I had left the note on the windshield, the woman would have taken if off when she returned to her car.)
Strangely enough, I did not receive a phone call from the Honda owner.  My hope is that the guilty woman had the car owner paged in the store and did her insurance exchange in person.  But I could tell from her face that she would not have done so willingly.  It reminded me of a lesson I taught to the kids in church a few weeks back about having a "word of honor". I explained that being honest is not only about what we say and do when we interact with other people, but it is more strongly shown by what we do when no one is watching us.  Do we do the right thing when no one is around to see our decisions?  With some people, the guilt is written all over their faces!

1 comment: