Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Laundry Day

Today is my most dreaded day.  Laundry day.  It amazes me how perfect strangers can make something as mundane as laundry a fearful event.  I have no particular dislike of doing laundry.  To the contrary, I love the way my clothes and towels feel when I pull them warm and soft from the dryer.  Unfortunately, my personal washer and dryer are in a storage unit.  We moved into a tiny house with no hook-ups while my husband is in school, so I drive out of my way to a coin op facility in a nice part of town.  But the niceness of the area is deceptive as to the clientele of this laundromat.  I had learned my lesson a while ago. I am a normally chatty and friendly person, but you get some crazies at the laundromat.  So I've developed a habit of using machines directly in front of the entrance so that I can sit in my car and watch the machines. Last time, I re-entered the laundromat prematurely to change over my loads to the dryer.  I had 3 minutes to kill. So I pull out the ole smart phone and jump on facebook to see what's happening.  Immediately, a guy sitting on a bench in front of my machine starts freaking out about me taking his picture! He insists that people keep taking his picture and that he has an attorney and will sue me if he sees his picture show up on facebook (like I'd friend him!) After insisting adamantly that I did not want to nor would I ever take his picture, I finally just put my cellphone away and said "There. It's gone. Now no one can enjoy themselves here." He continued to mutter about it to no one in particular for the next 10 minutes and then retreated to his car, which happened to be parked next to mine, to watch me for another 5 minutes before taking off.  That's one of my least favorite adventures in laundry. Sigh. I miss my machines.  Wish me luck! I'm off to the freak-show.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, you are too funny! You make me lagh!
    Love, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a follow up, I have started using a new laundromat and so far I have been unaccosted during my washing! I even sit inside now while I wait for the clothes, instead of hiding in my locked car!

    ReplyDelete