Monday, July 23, 2012

Dragonfly

I had another bug experience today.  I was driving through a parking lot, maybe 10 miles an hour. A dragonfly ended up bouncing off my windshield and kept flying right in front of my windshield.  I made a left turn, expecting to say goodbye to the bug, but he turned as well, still hovering just 4-6 inches from my windshield and certain death.  I made a right, and sure enough, he followed my turn as well.  I hit a straightaway and accelerated a bit, just enough that the dragonfly could not keep up and was forced by the wind up over the top of my car.  It's been about 7 hours since I had this encounter with my winged friend and I'm still thinking about it.  Everything I know about physics tells me that what the dragonfly was doing was dangerous and offered no benefit, aerodynamically, to it's flight.  It wasn't like drafting a semi tractor trailer, which cuts the wind sheer on your vehicle but puts you in a dangerous position for rear-ending a semi!  That bug was fighting all the same wind sheer that my car was, plus the turbulence of the air passing over my car trying to push the bug up and over the vehicle.  I'm still baffled by the bugs behavior.  Why would it play such a dangerous game?  I'll do some more aerodynamics research and see if I can figure it out.  But until then, I'll just have to believe that God wanted me to think about a bug for a half a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment