Saturday, June 30, 2012

Print Shop Wisdom

I took a flash drive in to Office Depot today.  I had a couple of pictures that I wanted to print 2' x 3' so that I can hang them in my living room.  I had a couple of thoughts I'd like to share.  First, the man at the counter checked the size of the pictures I had on the drive.  One was 7mb, one was 3mb and the last was 1mb.  He looked at the smallest one and said that it may come out a bit pixelated because the file size was small. I decided to risk it.  He printed my 7mb picture first and it came out GORGEOUS!! The detail in the shadowing and textures was amazing! I couldn't have been more pleased considering the huge print only costed $3.00.  The 1mb picture printed next.  It was not pixelated as I had feared, but it definately lacked the crispness that I got with the larger picture file.  So in an effort to liken all things to life, I propose that the more full you are, or the bigger your file size, the more beautiful and detailed your life will be.  If we can persue knowledge and experience, if we can open ourselves to the wealth of information offered in this world, the more rich and fulfilled our lives will be.  So take a different path on your walk! Try a different restaurant! Pick a book of a different genre for a change! Our eyes will be opened to a new world that was all around us all along. 
I mentioned that I had two thoughts to share... After the first picture was printed (a picture of my husband and I on our wedding day) the store employee said "This dress looks gorgeous". I immediately thanked him and agreed that it was a beautiful dress.  It took me a moment to realize that he was talking about the way the dress appeared on paper despite the low quality paper medium.  I must be very vain, I always assume people are complimenting me! I'm sure most people have had a conversation with a person where they interpreted half the things you said to them as either a slight or an outright insult.  It's so difficult to hold up this type of conversation, because you are choosing your words carefully and then halting the conversation to try to explain what you meant.  I would love it if everyone I talked to would just assume that I'm being polite and friendly, even when I'm not as eloquent as I wish I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment